Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Flag Day 2017

U.S. Flag Flying Over
American Cemetery 
Normandy, France


June 14th is Flag Day. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed June 14, 1916, to be a national celebration of the American flag, and the 1949 Congress declared June 14 to be national Flag Day every year. This day commemorates the day the Second Continental Congress authorized the United States of America to adopt a flag to represent the new nation.

We've traveled all over the world and there is nothing better than seeing an American flag while overseas.   This particular image was captured in Normandy, France.   However, we were no longer in France, but on American soil.

 On June 8, 1944, the U.S. First Army established the temporary cemetery, the first American cemetery on European soil in World War II. After the war, the present-day cemetery was established a short distance to the east of the original site.

Like all other overseas American cemeteries in France for World War I and II, France has granted the United States a special, perpetual concession to the land occupied by the cemetery, free of any charge or any tax. This cemetery is managed by the American Battle Monuments Commission, a small independent agency of the U.S. federal government, under Congressional acts that provide yearly financial support for maintaining them, with most military and civil personnel employed abroad. The U.S. flag flies over these granted soils.

God Bless the USA this Flag Day


"God Bless The USA" - Lee Greenwood

 If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
I'd thank my lucky stars to be livin' here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA


@ChrisPappinMCC

Follow Us On


Sign-up for Exclusive Email Offers

No comments: